Protecting the environment
Our Environmental Management System is fully compliant with the environment management standard ISO 14001. We focus on adhering to all applicable international and local environmental legislation. We also track our performance by monitoring data such as energy efficiency, emissions and waste management. In addition, we are active participants in the annual Carbon Disclosure Project, ensuring we measure and manage our environmental impact. For 2018, Subsea 7 has estimated a new environment target to emit no more than 25 litres of unplanned, uncontained environmentally harmful fluid spills to the environment per 200,000 hours worked.
Our Clean Operations programme continues to drive down emissions and ensure efficient energy management. The programme started in 2011 with the aim to raise the awareness of energy efficiency and to save fuel without compromising the safety of projects. In 2017, we recorded, approximately 5,000 Clean Operations activities relating to our own vessels, up from approximately 3,300 in 2016. Carbon dioxide emissions reported for our fleet of owned and chartered vessels for 2017 was 404,499 tonnes of carbon dioxide similar to 404,000 tonnes in 2016. The emissions data reflect a combination of the work schedules of the vessels throughout the year and the impact of our Clean Operations programme.
Reduced contribution to climate change
As a key contributor to the offshore subsea construction industry we support our clients in reducing their contribution to climate change through cost and energy efficiency developments:
- Front-end engineering and design solutions to meet our customers’ aspirations for reducing emissions of greenhouse gases
- Increased use of subsea infrastructure to reduce the need for topside structures and processing. In turn, this reduces costs, energy demand and emissions for development and operation during the life span of the field
- High focus on R&D and technology development
- Energy efficiency and emission reductions in our own operations
- Supply chain improvements (supplier performance assessment, supply chain innovation in connection with our Technology Group)